Monday, April 27, 2009

Keeping Busy

We have been very fortunate to have inherited a few items of furniture lately. so I have been busy refinishing them. After Ben's test we have been working on this piano from his Grandma Smith. We made a few minor changes from this....




to this...





we are really proud of our work and REALLY glad it is finished. we have a black bench for it too, but that is packed. we re-did all the key tops, took out the shelf and the mirror and made a new piece of wood for the front and top piece. we also made new legs since we aren't sure what happened to grandma's. We then sanded, and sanded, and sanded, and sanded and then painted and did more sanding.. you get the picture. It took forever, but luckily we were doing it together and could watch "Everybody loves Raymond" late at night!

13 comments:

Amanda said...

What a beautiful piano... and a lot of work! But at least you got to work together.
Have you guys found a place to live in NJ yet? We got assigned there too, and I am a bit nervous about finding an affordable place to live with 3 kids.
Good luck with all your family projects! And we look forward to seeing in you Jersey!

Sara and Dustin said...

Wow! That piano looks stunning! I'm very impressed you did that on your own. Do either of you play?

RSP said...

Holy crap! We thought we were getting good with our refinishing of bed and dressers... you guys put our work to shame. What an awesome inheritance! You guys totally deserve it and are gonna love it!

Raymond gets funnier the longer I'm married....

Ryan and Amy Nelsen said...

Wow! That is amazing!! I can't believe what you did to that!! What a project!!

Julie P. said...

Wow! I am impressed! That piano looks absolutely beautiful. Maybe I will find one from Deseret Industries and pay you guys to refinish it:)

Jayson & Sara said...

Holy crap Tanelle! That turned out amazing! Definitely a great transformation!

Justin & Ashlee said...

That turned out so great! I bet it feels good to have done. What a great project, and very rewarding :)

Kanien said...

Wow! You guys are amazing. I have a piano that needs refinishing, want to come and do it for me? That seriously gives me hope that I might be able to fix mine up. Where did you get the new keys? Were they expensive?

Denzil and Brittany said...

The piano looks great! You two are a great team.

Kelly Nordfelt said...

Great job! I bet you will always look at that piano with a sense of pride. Refinishing furniture is so satisfying!

Are you coming to the reunion June 20th?

MyrLynn said...

WOW! That is awesome. I have my grandmas piano and have been thinking that I needed to start saving for a new one. But I think that you need to call me and give me some tips. How did you know what to do?

The Pack's said...

Love the pictures! Isn't fun to see the transformation. You both did a great job. So impressive. Hope you have fun on your long adventure to New Jersey!!! Love you!

Shauna said...

Very impressive! What a fun thing to do together!